Canada's Digital Collections   Acadian Historic Atlas
Contact Us
Site map
History - Cobequit   

The Minas Basin was making its way into the land forming a small bay, called Cobequid. In this small village, now known as the town of Truro, Mathieu Martin, the first child born from french parents, Pierre and Catherine from Port Royal, in Acadie, established his lordship on the river of Wecobequik in 1689. The low terrain of the region offered the same possibilities for draining from the ones in Grand-Pré and soon many families followed.

In 1707, 17 families from acadian colonies, a total of 81 individuals, were established in Cobequid. To name a few : Robert Henry, Jean Benoît and Vincent Longuespée. Seven years later, in 1714, there was 23 families, forming a total of 175 people. Families included : Aucoin, Blanchard, Bourg, and Bourque, Carret, Diotte, Guillot, Doiron, Dugas, Gautreau, Guedry, et Guidry, Guérin, Hébert, Henry, Herpin dit Turpin, Lacombe, Longuespée, Robichaud, Terriot, Turpin, etc.

The first 3 families that followed Mathieu Martin to Cobequid were from Martin Bourg, Jérôme Guérin and Martin Blanchard, all from Port-Royal. Mathieu Martin remained unmarried.

The village of Cobequid consisted of two small parishes : St.-Pierre parish and St.-Paul parish. In the 1707 census, almost all the families had between 6 and 8 acres of land and 20 to 25 animals. In the 1732 census it stated that Cobequid was situated at 15 leagues (1 leagues = 4 km) from Port Royal.