Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Importation of Horses from the United States

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency permits the entry of horses into Canada from the United States for either permanent or temporary stay if they are accompanied by an Export Certificate issued by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Certificate VS 17-140 or VS 17-145. These export certificates can also be used for horse shipments which are in-transit (the final destination is a third country).

Please contact the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) office in the state from which the animals or products will be exported to obtain the required certificate or refer to the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service website.

More information on the importation of horses and other commodities regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is available in the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS). The application guides users through a selection process to identify the product they wish to import and provides specific information on the importation.

For clarification of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency import policies, please contact the appropriate Canadian Food Inspection Agency Office for further information.

Comments or requests for additional information.