Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Regulated Materials

The movement of infested ash materials and firewood poses the greatest risk of spreading the emerald ash borer to uninfested areas. To reduce this risk, the CFIA regulates the movement of specific materials to prevent the spread of EAB from a regulated area (the complete listing is contained in the Ministerial Order:

Ash tree materials

  • ash trees (whole or parts)
  • ash nursery stock
  • ash logs
  • ash lumber
  • newly manufactured wood packaging made from ash
  • ash wood or bark
  • ash wood chips or bark chips


Movement of firewood from trees of any species is also prohibited, whether for commercial or private purposes (such as taking firewood to the cottage or camping).

Learn more on CFIA's Don't Move Firewood campaign Website.

Firewood includes wood of any tree species, ash or otherwise, which is untreated and non-manufactured with or without bark and has been cut and split into lengths that may be handled manually and is suitable for, and ultimately intended to be used for burning and/or to produce heat.


Vehicles used to transport regulated materials must also be treated to remove any residual infested materials prior to leaving a regulated area. The required treatment will depend upon the regulated material transported, but may include:

  • sweeping
  • power washing

Tree trimmings and yard waste

Movement of yard waste outside of regulated areas is also prohibited, as it may contain ash tree bark, branches or trimmings.

Some municipalities have established special procedures for handling yard waste from regulated areas. If you live in a regulated area or have been issued a Notice of Quarantine and your municipality is not listed here, please contact your local government for more information on what to do with any yard waste.

In London
For questions regarding handling yard materials or taking ash material/firewood to the Ash Processing Depot, property owners can call the City of London at 519-661-4585 or visit the City of London's Website.

In Toronto
For questions regarding handling yard materials in Toronto please call 416-338-0338 or visit the City of Toronto's Website.

Transporting regulated materials

Regulated materials for EAB must be accompanied by a Movement Certificate issued by the CFIA. Materials must be delivered directly to an approved facility and may not be diverted to any other destination without prior permission from the CFIA. All vehicles used to transport regulated materials must be cleaned of debris (i.e. swept) prior to loading at origin and prior to departure from the receiving facility.