Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Introduced Forest Pest Compensation Regulations
Questions and Answers

2009-11-25 - News Release

Q1. What do the Introduced Forest Pest Compensation Regulations compensate for?

The Introduced Forest Pest Compensation Regulations (IFPC Regulations) provide partial compensation to persons affected by tree removal undertaken by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to control or support research on three non-native forest pests: the brown spruce longhorn beetle (BSLB), the emerald ash borer (EAB), and the Asian long-horned beetle (ALHB).

Q2. Why were these regulations amended?

The CFIA extended the IFPC Regulations by five years because the previous IFPC Regulations did not allow for compensation past March 31, 2008. Without the amendment, owners who receive a Notice to Dispose after March 31, 2008, would not be eligible for compensation even though they would have suffered similar losses to those who are eligible. The amendment simply extends the deadline for the receipt of a Notice to Dispose and the deadline to submit an application for compensation.

The amended regulation establishes March 31, 2013 as the deadline for the receipt of a Notice to Dispose and December 31, 2014 as the deadline to submit an application for compensation.

Extending the IFPC regulations is important so that individuals can continue to apply for compensation in cases where their trees have been or will be removed

Q3. When did the extension for compensation come into effect?

The five-year extension of the IFPC Regulations came into effect when the amendment was published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, on November 25, 2009.

Q4. Were stakeholders consulted during the amendment process?

Yes. The proposed amendment was pre-published in Canada Gazette, Part I, on April 11, 2009 for a 30-day comment period.

Q5. Who is entitled to be compensated?

All property owners who received a Notice to Dispose, issued by the CFIA, can apply to be compensated for the purchase and planting of non-host trees up to a maximum amount.

Q6. What are the conditions for compensation?

To be eligible for compensation under the amended IFPC Regulations a person must receive a Notice to Dispose for a host tree issued by March 31, 2013, and submit an application for compensation for the direct costs of replacing the tree with a non-host tree on or before December 31, 2014.

Each person who wishes to apply for compensation must purchase and plant a non-host replacement tree before applying and must provide the CFIA with the original receipts or a solemn declaration upon application. Compensation will only be provided for the purchase and planting of trees that are not susceptible to attack by these pests.

Q7. What kinds of trees should be purchased to replace those lost?

Each of the three non-native forest pests prefers to attack specific types of trees, so trees that are not susceptible to these pests should be planted in their place. The CFIA will only provide compensation for the purchase of trees, and that are not considered to be hosts.

The following are considered to be host trees:

  • Spruce trees are attacked and killed by the brown spruce longhorn beetle (BSLB).
  • Ash trees, excluding Mountain Ash, are attacked by the emerald ash borer (EAB).
  • Maple, horsechestnut, elm, poplar, birch, mountain ash, sycamore/London plane tree, hackberry, silk tree and willow trees are attacked by the Asian long-horned beetle (ALHB).

Lists of susceptible trees, including their scientific names, are available on the CFIA Web site

Q8. What are the compensation amounts for trees ordered removed by the CFIA?

Trees removed from woodlots are valued at a maximum $40 per tree, while trees on public property are valued at $150 per tree. Residential property owners who wish to replant will be compensated to a maximum of $300 per tree. The maximum amount applies to both purchasing a tree and to reasonable costs for planting. The authority of the Plant Protection Act does not extend to the loss of property value.

Q9. Will every tree that was removed be compensated for?

No, the regulations exclude such areas as railway and utility rights of way, drainage ditches and unmanaged or wild areas.

Q10. How do I apply for compensation?

To apply for compensation, you must complete the application form provided to you by the CFIA after tree-removal and submit it with your original receipts for purchase and installation of your new non-host trees or a solemn declaration.

Q11. Where can I plant the non-host trees?

All non-host replacement trees must be planted on the same property as stated on the Notice to Dispose. The trees may be planted anywhere on the property.

Q12. Will I be audited by the CFIA?

Properties are subject to inspection by an inspector designated by the CFIA to substantiate the information contained in compensation applications.