Back to Black Loyalist Home Page Black Loyalists: Our Story, Our People Canada's Digital Collections

Home: Documents: Diaries: Marrant's Narrative

Our Story
Loyalists Now


John Marrant, born June 15th, 1755, in New York, in North-America, wish these gracious dealings of the Lord with me to be published, in hopes they may be useful to others, to encourage the fearful, to confirm the wavering, and to refresh the hearts of true believers.  My father died when I was little more than four years of age, and before I was five my mother removed from New-York to St. Augustine, about seven hundred miles from that city.  Here I was sent to school, and taught to read and spell; after we had resided here about eighteen months, it was found necessary to remove to Georgia, where we remained; and I was kept to school until I had attained my eleventh year.  The Lord spoke to me in my early days, by these removes, if I could have understood him, and said, "Here we have no continuing city."
  We left Georgia, and went to Charles Town, where it was intended I should be put apprentice to some trade.  Sometime after I had been in Charles Town, as I was walking one day, I passed by a school, and heard music and dancing, which took my fancy very much, and I felt a strong inclination to learn the music.  I went home, and informed my sister, that I had rather learn to play upon music than go to a trade.  She told me she could do nothing in it, until she had acquainted my mother with my desire.  Accordingly she wrote a letter concerning it to my mother with my desire.  Accordingly she wrote a letter concerning it to my mother, which, when she read, the contents wee disapproved of by her, and she came to CharlesTown to prevent it.  She persuaded me much against it, but her persuasions were fruitless.  Disobedience either to god or man, being one of the fruits of sin, grew out from me in early buds.  Finding I was set upon it, and resolved to learn nothing else, she agreed to it, and went with me to speak to the man, and to settle upon the best terms with him she could.  He insisted upon twenty pounds down, which was paid, and I was engaged to stay with him eighteen months, and my mother to find me every thing during that term.  The first day I went to him he put the violin into my hand, which pleased me much, and, applying close, I learned very fast, not only to play, but to dance also; so that in six months I was able to play for the whole school.

  In the evenings after the scholars were dismissed, I used to resort to the bottom of our garden; where it was customary for some musicians to assemble to blow the French-horn.  Here my improvement was so rapid, that in a twelve month's time I became master both of the violin and of the French-horn, and was much respected by the Gentlemen and Ladies whose children attended the school, as also by my master:  This opened to me a large door of vanity and vice, for I was invited to all the balls and assemblies that were held in the town, and met with the general applause of the inhabitants.  I was a stranger to want, being supplied with as much money as I had any occasion for; which my sister observing, said "You have now no need of a trade."  I was now in my thirteenth year, devoted to pleasure and drinking in iniquity like water; a slave to every vice suited to my nature and to my years.  The time I had engaged to serve my master being expired, he persuaded me to stay with him, and offered me anything, or any money, not to leave him.  His entreaties proving ineffectual, I quitted his service, and visited my mother in the country; with her I stayed two months, living without God or hope in the world, fishing and hunting on the Sabbath-day.  Unstable as water I returned to town, and wished to go to some trade.  My sister's husband being informed of my inclination provided me with a master, on condition that I should serve him one year and a half on trial, and afterwards be bound, if he approved of me.
  Accordingly I went, but every evening I was sent for to play on music, somewhere or another; and I often continued out very late, sometimes all night, so as to render me incapable of attending my master's business the next day; yet in this manner I served him a year and four months, and was much approved of by him.  He wrote a letter to my mother to came and have me bound , and whilst my mother was weighing the matter in her own mind, the gracious purposes of God, respecting a perishing sinner, were now to be disclosed.  One evening I was sent for in a very particular manner to go and play for some Gentlemen, which I agreed to do, and was on my way to fulfill my promise; and passing by a large meeting house I saw many lights in it, and crowds of people going in.  I enquired what it meant, and was answered by my companion, that a crazy man was hallooing there; this raised my curiosity to go in, that I might hear what he was hallooing about.  He persuaded me not to go in, but in vain.  He then said, "If you will do one thing I will go in with you."  I asked him what that was?  He replied, "Blow the French horn among them."  I liked the proposal well enough, but expressed my fears of being beaten for disturbing them; but upon his promising to stand by and defend me, I agreed. 
  So we went and with much difficulty got within the doors.  I was pushing the people to make room, to get the horn off my shoulder to blow it, just as Mr. Whitefield was naming his text, and looking round, and , as I thought directly upon me, and pointing with his finger, he uttered these words, "Prepare to meet thy God, O Israel."  The Lord accompanied the word with such power, that I was struck to the ground, and lay both speechless and senseless near half an hour.  When I was come a little too, I found two men attending me, and a woman throwing water in my face and holding a smelling-bottle to my nose; and when something more recovered, every word I heard from the minister was like a parcel of swords thrust into me, and what added to my distress, I thought I saw the devil on every side of me.  I was constrained in the bitterness of my spirit to halloo out in the midst of the congregation, which disturbing them, they could neither walk or stand, they carried me as far as the vestry, and there I remained till the service was over.  When the people were dismissed Mr. Whitefield came into the vestry, and being told of my condition he came immediately, and the first word he said to me was, "JESUS CHRIST Has got thee at last."  He asked where I lived, intending to come and see me the next day; but recollecting he was to leave the town the next morning, he said he could not come himself, but would send another minister; he desired them to get me home, and then taking his leave of me, I saw him no more When I reached my sister's house, being carried by two men, she was very uneasy to see me in so distressed a condition.

  She got me to bed, and sent for a doctor, who came immediately, and after looking at me, he went home, and sent me a bottle of mixture, and desired her to give me a spoonful every two hours; but I could not take any thing the doctor sent, nor indeed keep in bed; this distressed my sister very much, and she cried out,  "The lad will surely die."  She sent for two other doctors, but no medicine they prescribed could I take.  No, no; it may be asked, a wounded spirit who can cure?  as well as who can bear?  In this distress of soul I continued for three days without any food, only a little water now and then.  On the fourth day, the minister Mr. Whitefield had desired to visit me came to see me, an being directed upstairs, when he entered the room, I thought he made my distress my distress much worse.  He wanted to take hold of my hand, but I durst not give it to him.  He insisted upon taking hold of it, and I then got away from him on the other side of the bed; but being very weak I fell down, and before I could recover he came to me and took me by the hand, and after a few words desired to go to prayer.
  So he fell upon his knees, and pulled me down also; after he had spent some time in prayer he rose up, and asked me now how I did, I answered, much worse; he then said, "Come, "we will have the old thing over again," and we kneeled down a second time, and after he had prayed earnestly we got up, and he aid again, "How do you do now;"  I replied worse and worse, and asked him if he intended to kill me?  "No, No, said he, you are worth a thousand "dead men, let us try the old thing over again," and so falling upon our knees, he continued in prayer a considerable time, and near the close of his prayer, the Lord was pleased to set my soul at perfect liberty, and being filled with joy I began to praise the Lord immediately; my sorrows were turned into peace, and joy, and love.  The minister said, "How is it now?"  I answered, all is well, all happy.  He then took his leave of me; but called every day for several days afterwards, and the last time he said, "Hold fast that "thou hast already obtained, till Jesus Christ come."  I now read the Scriptures very much.  My master sent often to know how I did, and at last came himself, and finding me well, asked me if I would not come to work again?  I answered no.  He asked me the reason, but receiving no answer he went away.  I continued with my sister about three weeks, during which time she often asked me to play upon the violin for her, which I refused; then she said I was crazy and mad, and so reported it among the neighbors, which opened the mouths of all around against me. 

I then resolved to go to my mother, which was eighty-four miles from CharlesTown.  I was two days on my journey home, and enjoyed much communion with God on the road, and had occasion to mark the gracious interposition's of his kind providence as I passed along.  The third day I arrived at my mother's house, and was well received.  At supper they sat down to eat without asking the Lord's blessing, which caused me to burst out into tears.  My mother asked me what was the matter?  I answered, I wept because they sat down to supper without asking the Lord's blessing.  She bid me, with much surprise, to ask a blessing.  I remained with her fourteen days without interruption; the Lord pitied me, being a young soldier.  Soon, however, Satan began to stir up my two sisters and brother, who were then at home with my mother, they called me every name but that which was good.  The more they persecuted me, the stronger I grew in grace.  At length my mother turned against me also, and the neighbors joined her, and there was not a friend to assist me, or that I could speak to; this made me earnest with God.  In these circumstances, being the youngest but one of our family, and young in Christian experience, I was tempted so far as to threaten my life; but reading my Bible one day, and finding that if I did destroy myself I could not come where God was, I betook myself to the fields, and some days stayed out from morning to night to avoid the persecutors. 
I stayed one time two days without any food, but seemed to have clearer views into the spiritual things of God.  Not long after this I was sharply tried, and reasoned the matter within myself, whether I should turn to my old courses of sin and vice, or serve and cleave to the Lord; after prayer to God, I was fully persuaded in my mind, that if I turned to my old ways I should perish eternally.  Upon this I went home, and finding them all as hardened, or worse than before, and everybody saying I was crazy; but a little sister I had, about nine years of age, used to cry when she saw them persecute me, and continuing so about five weeks and three days, I thought it was better for me to die than to live among such people.  I rose one morning very early, to get a little quietness and retirement, I went into the woods, and stayed till eighty o'clock in the morning; upon my return I found them all at breakfast; I passed by them, and went upstairs without any interruption; I went upon my knees to the lord and returned him thanks; then I took up a small pocket Bible and one of Dr. Watt's hymn books, and passing by them went out without one word spoken by any of us.

  After spending some time in the fields I was persuaded to go from home altogether.  Accordingly I went over the fence, about half a mile from our house, which divided the inhabited and cultivated parts of the country from the wilderness.  I continued traveling in the desert all day without the least inclination of returning back.  About eight o'clock next morning I descended from the tree, and returned God thanks for the mercies of the night.  I went on all this day, taking my Bible out of my pocket, I read and walked for some time, and then being wearied and almost spent I sat down, and after resting awhile I rose to go forward; but had not gone above a hundred yards when something tripped me up, and I fell down; I prayed to the Lord upon the ground that he would command the wild beasts to devour me, that I might be with him in glory I made this request to God the third and part of the fourth day.  The fourth day in the morning, descending from my usual lodging, a tree, and having nothing all this time to eat, and but a little water to drink, I was so feeble that I tumbled half way down the tree, not being able to support myself, and lay upon my back on the ground an hour and a half, praying and crying; after which, getting a little strength, and trying to stand upright to walk, I found myself not able; then I went upon my hands and knees, and so crawled till I reached a tree that was tumbled down, in order to get across it, and there I prayed with my body leaning upon it above an hour, that the Lord would take me to himself.
  Such nearness to God I then enjoyed, that I willingly resigned myself into his hands.  After some time I thought I was strengthened, so I got across the tree without my feet or hands touching the ground; but struggling I fell over on the other side, and then thought the Lord will now answer my prayer, and take me home:  But the time was not come.  After laying there a little, I rose, and looking about, saw at some distance bunches of grass, called deer-grass; I felt a strong desire to get at it; though I rose, yet it was only on my hands and knees, being so feeble, and in this manner I reached the grass.  I was three-quarters of an hour going in this form twenty yards.  When I reached it I was unable to pull it up, so I bit it off  like a horse, and prayed the Lord to bless it to me  . and I thought it the best meal I ever had in my life, and I think so still, it was so sweet.  I returned my God hearty thanks for it, and then lay down about an hour.  Feeling myself very thirsty, I prayed the Lord to provide me with some water. Finding I was something strengthened I got up, and stood on my feet, and staggered from one tree to another, if they were near each other, otherwise the journey was too long for me.
  I continued moving so for some time, and at length passing between two trees, I happened to fall upon some bushes; among which were few large hollow leaves, which had caught and contained the dews of the night, and lying low among the bushes, were not exhaled by the solar rays; this water in the leaves fell upon me as I tumbled down and was lost, I was now tempted to think the Lord had given me water from Heaven, and I had wasted it.  I then prayed the lord to forgive me.  What poor unbelieving creatures we are! though we are assured the Lord will supply all out needs.  I was presently directed to a puddle of water very muddy, which some wild pigs had just left; I kneeled down, and asked the Lord to bless it to me, so I drank both mud and water mixed together, and being satisfied I returned the lord thanks, and went on my way rejoicing.  This day was much chequered with wants and supplies, with dangers and deliverance's.  I continued traveling on for nine days, feeding upon grass, and not knowing whither I was going; but the Lord Jesus Christ was very present, and that comforted me through all.  The next morning, having quitted my customary lodging, and returned thanks to the Lord for my preservation through the night, reading and traveling on, I passed between two bears, about twenty yards distance from each other.  Both sat and looked at me, but I felt no fear; and after I had passed them, they both went the same way from without growling, or the least apparent uneasiness.  I went and returned God thanks for my escape, who had tamed the wild beast of the forest, and made them friendly to me:  I rose from my knees and walked on, singing hymns of praise to God, about five o'clock in the afternoon, and about 55 miles from home, right through the wilderness.
  As I was going on, and musing upon the goodness of the Lord, an Indian hunter, who stood at some distance, saw me; he hid himself behind a tree, but as I passed along he bolted out, and put his hands on my breast, which surprised me a few a moments.  He then asked me where I was going?  I answered I did not know, but where the Lord was pleased to guide me.  Having heard me praising God before I came up to him, he enquired who I was talking to?  I told him I was talking to my Lord Jesus; he seemed surprised, and asked me where he was?  for he did not see him there.  I told him he could not be seen with bodily eyes.  After a little more talk, he insisted upon taking me home; but I refused, and added that I would die rather than return home.  He then asked me if I knew how far I was from home?  I answered, I did not know; you are 55 miles and a half, says he, from home.  He farther asked me how I did to live?  I said I was supported by the Lord.  He asked me how I slept?  I answered, the Lord provided me with a bed every night; he further enquired what preserved me from being devoured by the wild beasts?  I replied, the Lord Jesus Christ kept me from them.

  He stood astonished, and said, you say the Lord Jesus Christ do this, and do that, and do every thing for you, he must be a very fine man, where is he?  I replied, he is here present.  To this he made me no answer, only said, I know you, and your mother and sister, and upon a little further conversation I found he did know them, having been used in winter to sell skins in our town.  This alarmed me, and I wept for fear he would take me home by force; but when he saw me so affected, he said he would not take me home if I would go with him.  I objected against that, for fear he would rob me of my comfort and communion with God:  But as last, being much pressed, I consented to go. Our employment for ten weeks and three days, was killing deer, and taking off their skins by day, which we afterwards hung on the trees to dry till they were sent for ; the means of defense and security against our nocturnal enemies, always took up the evenings:  We collected a number of large bushes, and placed them nearly in a circular form, which uniting at the extremity, afforded us both a verdant covering, and a sufficient shelter from the night dews.  What moss we could gather was strewed upon the ground, and this composed our bed.  A fire was kindled in the front of our temporary lodging room, and fed with fresh fuel all night, as we slept and watched by turns; and this was our defense from the dreadful animals, whose shining eyes and tremendous roar we often saw and discard during the by constant conversation with the hunter, I acquired a fuller knowledge of the Indian tongue:  This, together with a sweet communion I enjoyed with God, I have considered as a preparation for the great trial I was soon after to pass through.

The hunting season being now at an end, we left the woods, and directed our course towards a large Indian town, belonging to the Cherokee nation; and having reached it, I said to the hunter, they will not suffer me to enter in.  He replied, as I was with him, nobody would interrupt me.
  There was an Indian fortification all round the town, and a guard placed at each entrance.  The hunter passed one of these without molestation, but I was stopped by the guard and examined.  They asked me where I came from, and what was my business there?  My companion of the woods attempted to speak for me, but was not permitted; he was taken away, and I saw him no more.  I was now surrounded by about 50 men, and carried to one of their chiefs to be examined by him.  When I came before him, he asked me what was my business there?  I told him I came there with a hunter, whom I met with in the woods.  He replied, "Did I not know that whoever came there "without giving a better account of themselves "than I did, was to be put to death?"  I said I did not know it.  Observing that I answered him so readily in his own language, he asked me where I learnt it?  To this I returned no answer, but burst out into a flood of tears; and calling upon my Lord Jesus.

  At this he stood astonished, and expressed a concern for me, and said I was young.  He asked me who my Lord Jesus was? To this I gave him no answer, but continued praying and weeping.  Addressing himself to the officer who stood by him, he said he was sorry; but it was the law, and it must not be broken.  I was then ordered to be taken away, and put into a place of confinement.  They led me from their court into a low dark place, and thrust me into it, very dreary and dismal; they made fast the door, and set a watch.  The judge sent for the executioner, and gave him his warrant for my execution in the afternoon of the next day.  The executioner came, and gave me notice of it, which made me very happy, as the near prospect of death made me hope for a speedy deliverance from the body:  And truly this dungeon became my chapel, for the Lord Jesus did not leave me in this great trouble, but was very present, so that I continued blessing him, and singing his praises all night without ceasing:  The watch hearing the noise, informed the executioner that somebody had been in the dungeon with me all night; upon which he came in to see and to examine, with a great torch lighted in his hand, who it was I had with me; but finding nobody, he turned round, and asked me who it was?  I told him it was the Lord Jesus Christ; but he made no answer, turned away, went out, and locked my door.  At the hour appointed for my execution I was taken out, and led to the destined spot, amidst a vast number of people.  I praised the lord all the way we went, and when we arrived at the place I understood the kind of death I was to suffer, yet, blessed be God, none of those things moved me.  The executioner shewed me a basket of turpentine wood, stuck full of small pieces, like skewed; he told me I was to be stripped naked, and laid down in the basket, and these sharp pegs were to be stuck into me, and then set on fire, and when they had burnt to my body, I was to be turned on the other side, and served in the same manner, and then to be taken by four men and thrown into the flame, which was to finish the execution.  I burst into tears, and asked what I had done to deserve so cruel a death!  To this he gave me no answer.  I cried out, Lord, if it be thy will that it should be so, thy will be done:  I then asked the executioner to let me go to prayer; he asked me to whom?  I answered, to the Lord my God; he seemed surprised, and asked me where he was?  I told him he was present; upon which he gave me leave.  I desired them all to do as I did, so I fell down upon my knees, and mentioned to the Lord his delivering of the three children in the fiery furnace, and of Daniel in the lion's den, and had close communion with God.  I prayed in English a considerable time, and about the middle of my prayer, the Lord impressed a strong desire upon my mind to turn into their language, and pray in their tongue.  I did so, and with remarkable liberty, which wonderfully affected the people.  One circumstance was very singular, and strikingly displays the power and grace of God.  I believe the executioner was savingly converted to God.  He rose from his knees, and embraced me round the middle, and was unable to speak for about five minutes; the first words he expressed, when he had utterance, were, "No man shall hurt thee till thou hast been "to the king."

  I was taken away immediately, and as we passed along, and I was reflecting upon the deliverance which the Lord had wrought out for me, and hearing the praises which the executioner was singing to the Lord, I must own I was utterly at a loss to find words to praise him.  I broke out in these words, what can't the Lord Jesus do! and what power is like unto his!  I will thank thee for what is passed, and trust thee for what is to come.  I will sing thy praise with my feeble tongue whilst life and breath shall last, and when I fail to found thy praises here, I hope to sing them round thy throne above:  And thus, with unspeakable joy, I sung two verses of Dr. Watts's hymns:

"My God, the spring of all my joys,
"The life of my delights;
"The glory of my brightest days,
"And comfort of my nights.
"In darkest shades, if thou appear,
"My dawning is begun;
"Thou art my soul's bright morning star,
"And thou my rising sun."

  Passing by the judge's door, he stopped us, and asked the executioner why he brought me back?  The man fell upon his knees, and begged he would permit me to be carried before the king, which being granted, I went on, guarded by two hundred soldiers with bows and arrows.  After many windings I entered the king's outward chamber, and after waiting some time he came to the door, and his first question was, how came I there?  I answered, I came with a hunter whom I met with in the woods, and who persuaded me to come there.  He then asked me how old I was?  I told him not fifteen.  He asked me how I was supported before I met with this man?  I answered, by the Lord Jesus Christ, which seemed to confound him.  He turned round, and asked me if he lived where I came from?  I answered, yes, and here also.  He looked about the room, and said he did not see him; but I told him I felt him.  The executioner fell upon his knees, and entreated the king, and told him what he had felt f the same Lord.  At this instant the king's eldest daughter came into the chamber, a person about 19 years of age, and stood at my right-hand.  I had a Bible in my hand, which she took out of it, and having opened it, she kissed it, and seemed much delighted with it.  When she had put  it into my hand again, the king asked me what it was? and I told him, the name of my God was recorded there; and, after several questions, he bid me read it, which I did, particularly the 53rd chapter of Isaiah, in the most solemn manner I was able; and also the 26th chapter of Matthew's Gospel; and when I pronounced the name of Jesus, the particular effect it had upon me was observed by the king.  When I had finished reading, he asked me why I read those names with so much reverence?  I told him, because the Being to whom those names belonged made heaven and earth, and I and he this he-denied.  I then pointed to the sun, and asked him who made the sun, and moon, and stars, and preserved them in their regular order?  He said there was a man in their town that did it.  I labored as much as I could to convince him to the contrary.  His daughter took the book out of my hand a second time; she opened it, and kissed it again; her father bid her give it to me, which she did; but said, with much sorrow, the book would not speak to her.  The executioner then fell upon his knees, and begged the king to let me go to prayer, which being granted, we all went upon our knees, and now the Lord displayed his glorious power.  In the midst of the prayer some of them cried out, particularly the king's daughter, and the man who ordered me to be executed, and several others seemed under deep conviction of sin:  This made the king very angry; he called me a witch, and commanded me to be thrust into the prison, and to be executed the next morning.  This was a enough to make me think, as old Jacob once did, "All these things are against me;" for I was dragged away, and thrust into the dungeon with much indignation; but God, who never forsakes his people, was with me.  Though I was weak in body, yet was I strong in the spirit:  The Lord works, and who shall let it?  The executioner went to the king, and assured him, that if he put me to death, his daughter would never be well.  They used the skill of all their doctors that afternoon and night; but physical prescriptions were useless.  In the morning the executioner came to me, and, without opening the prison door, called to me, and hearing me answer, said, "Fear not, "thy God who delivered thee yesterday, will "deliver thee today."  This comforted me very much, especially to find he cold trust the Lord.  Soon after I was fetched out, I thought it was to be executed; but they led me away to the king's chamber with much bodily weakness, having been without food two days.  When I came into the king's presence, he said to me, with much anger, if I did not make his daughter and that man well, I should be laid down and chopped into pieces before him.  I was not afraid, but the Lord tried my faith sharply.  The king's daughter and the other person were brought out into the outer chamber, and we went to prayer; but the heavens were locked up to my petitions.  I befought the Lord again, but received no answer:  I cried again, and he was entreated.  He said, "Be it to thee as "thou wilt;"  the Lord appeared most lovely and glorious; the king himself was awakened, and the others set at liberty.  A great change took place among the people; the king's house because God's house; the soldiers were ordered away, and the poor condemned prisoner had perfect liberty, and was treated like a prince.  Now the Lord made all my enemies to become my great friends.  I remained nine weeks in the king's palace, praising God day and night:  I was never out but three days all the time.  I had assumed the habit of the country, and was dressed much like the king, and nothing was too good for me.  The king would take off his golden ornaments, his chain and bracelets, like a child, if I objected to them, and lay them aside.  Here I learnt to speak their tongue in the highest stile.

  I began now to feel an inclination growing upon me to go farther on, but none to return home.  The king being acquainted with this, expressed his fears of my being used ill by the next Indian nation, and, to prevent it, sent 50 men, and a recommendation to the king, with me.  The next nation was called the Creek Indians, at 60 miles distance.  Here I was received with kindness, owing to the king's influence, from whom I had parted; here I stayed five weeks.  I next visited the Catawar Indians, at about 55 miles distance from the others:  Lastly, I went among the Housaw Indians, 80 miles distant from the last mentioned; here I stayed seven weeks.  These nations were then at peace with each other, and I passed among them without danger, being recommended from one to the other.  When they recollect, that the white people drove them from the American shores, the three first nations have often united, and murdered all the white people in the back settlements which they could lay hold of, man, woman, and child.  I had not much reason to believe any of these three nations were savingly wrought upon, and therefore I returned to the Cherokee nation, which took me up eight weeks.  I continued with my old friends seven weeks and two days.

  I now and then found, that my affections to my family and country were not dead; they were sometimes very sensibly felt, and at last strengthened into an invincible desire of returning home.  The king was much against it; but feeling the same strong bias towards my country, after we had asked Divine direction, the king consented, and accompanied me 60 miles with 140 men.  I went to prayer three times before we could part, and then he sent 40 men with me a hundred miles farther; I went to prayer, and then took my leave of them and passed on my way.  I had 70 mils now to go to the back settlements of the white people.  I was surrounded very soon with wolves again, which made my old lodging both necessary and welcome.  However it was not long, for in two days I reached the settlements, and on the third I found a house:  It was about dinnertime, and as I came up to the door the family saw me, were frightened, and ran away.  I sat down to dinner alone, and eat very heartily, and, after returning God thanks, I went to see what was become of the family.  I found means to lay hold of a girl that stood peeping at me from behind a barn.  She fainted away, and it was upwards of an hour before she recovered; it was nine o'clock before I could get them all to venture in, they were so terrified

  My dress was purely in the Indian stile; the skins of wild beasts composed my garments, my head was set out in the savage manner, with a long pendant down my back, a sash round my middle without breeches, and a tomahawk by my side.  In about two days they became sociable.  Having visited three or four other families, at the distance of 16 or 20 miles, I got them altogether to prayer on the Sabbath days, to the number of 17 persons.  I stayed with them six weeks, and they expressed much sorrow when I left them.  I was now one hundred and twelve miles from home.  On the road I sometimes met with a house, then I was hospitably entertained; and when I met with none, a tree lent me the use of its friendly shelter and protection from the prowling beasts of the woods during the night.  The God of mercy and grace supported me thus for eight days, and on the ninth I reached my uncle's house.

  The following particulars, relating to the manner in which I was made known to my family, are less interesting and yet, perhaps, some readers would not forgive their omission:  I shall, however, be as brief as I can.  I asked my uncle for a lodging, which he refused.  I enquired how far the town was off; three quarters of a mile, said he.  Do you know Mrs. Marrant and family, and how the children do?  was my next question.  He said he did, they were all well, but one was lately lost; at this I turned my head and wept.  He did not know me, and upon refusing again to lodge me, I departed.  When I reached the town it was dark, and passing by a house where one of my old school-fellows lived, I knocked at the door; he came out, and asked me what I wanted?  I desired a lodging, which was granted:  I went in, but was not known.  I asked him if he knew Mrs. Marrant, and how the family were?  He said, he had just left them, they were all well; but a young lad, with whom he went to school, who, after he had quitted school, went to CharlesTown to learn some trade; but came home crazy, and rambled in the woods, and was torn in pieces by the wild beasts.  How do you know, said I, that he was killed by wild beasts.  How do you know, said I, that he was killed by wild beasts?  I, and his brother, and uncle, and others, said he, went three days into the woods in search of him, and found his carcass torn, and brought it home, and buried it, and they are now in mourning for him.  This affected me very much, and I wept; observing it, he said, what is the matter?  I made no answer.  At supper they sat down without craving a blessing, for which I reproved them; this so affected the man, that I believe it ended in a sound conversion.  Here is a wild man, says he, come out of the woods to be a witness for God, and to reprove our ingratitude and stupefaction!  After supper I went to prayer, and then to bed.  Rising a little before daylight, and praising the Lord, as my custom was, the family were surprised, and got up:  I stayed with them till nine o'clock, and then went to my mommy dress drew everybody's eyes upon me, yet none knew me.  I knocked at my mother's door, my sister opened it, and was startled at my appearance.  Having expressed a desire to see Mrs. Marrant, I was answered, she was not very well, and that my business with her could be done by the person at the door, who also attempted to shut me out, which I prevented.  My mother being called, I went in, and sat down, a mob of people being round the door.  My mother asked "what is you business;"  only to see you said I.  She was much obliged to me, but did not now me.  I asked, how are your children?  how are you two sons? She replied, her daughters were in good health, of her two sons one was well, and with her, but the other, unable to contain, she burst into a flood of tears, and retired.  I was overcome, and wept much; but nobody knew me.  This was an affecting scene!  Presently my brother came in:  He enquired, who I was, and what I was?  My sister did not know; but being uneasy at my presence, they contrived to get me out of the house, which , being overheard by me, I resolved not to stir.  My youngest sister, eleven years of age, came in from school, and knew me the moment she saw me:  She goes into the kitchen, and tells the woman her brother was come; but her news finding no credit there she returns, passes through the room where I sat, made a running curtsey, and says to my eldest sister in the next room, it is my brother!  She was then called a foolish girl, and threatened; the child cried, and insisted upon it.  She went crying upstairs to my mother, and told her; but neither would my mother believe her.  At last they said to her, if it be your brother, go and kiss him, and ask him how he does?  She ran and clasped me round the neck, and, looking me in the face, said, "Are not "you my brother John?"  I answered yes, and wept.  I was then made known to all the family, to my friends, and acquaintances, who received me, and were glad, and rejoiced:  Thus the dead was brought to life again; thus the lost was found.  I shall now close the Narrative, with only remarking a few incidents in my life, until my connection with my Right Honorable Patroness, the Countess of Huntingdon.

  I remained with my relations till the commencement of the American troubles.  I used to go and hear the word of God, if any Gospel ministers came into the country, though at a considerable distance, and thereby got acquainted with a few poor people, who feared God in Will's Town, and Borough Town, Dorchester Town, and other places thereabouts; and in those places we used to meet and associate together for Christian conversation, and, at their request, I frequently went to prayer with them, and at times enjoyed much of the Lord's presence among them; and yet, reader, my soul was got into a declining state.  Don't forget our Lord's exhortation  "What I say unto you, I say unto all, "Watch 

  About this time I was an eyewitness of the remarkable conversion of a child seven and a  half years old, named Mary Scott, which I shall here mention, in hopes the Lord may make it useful and profitable to my young readers.  Her parents lived in the house adjoining to my sister's.  One day, as I was returning from my work, and passing by the school where she was instructed, I saw the children coming out, and stop'd and looked among them for her, to take her home in my hand; but not seeing her among those that were coming out, I supposed she was gone before, and went on towards home; when passing by the churchyard, which was in my way, I saw her very busy walking from one tomb to another, and went to her, and asked her what she was doing there?  She told me, that in the lesson she had set her at school that morning, in the Twentieth of the Revelations, she read, "I saw the dead, small and great, stand "before God'" & c.  and she had been measuring the graves with a tape she then held in her hand, to see if there were ay so small as herself among them, and that she had found six that were shorter.  I then said, and what of that?  She answered, "I "shall die, Sir."
  I told her I knew she would, but hoped she would live till she was grown a woman; but she continued to express her desire to depart and be with Christ, rather than to live till she was grown up.  I then took her by the hand and brought her home with me.  After this, she was observed to be always very solid and thoughtful, and that passage appeared always to be fresh upon her mind.  I used frequently to be with her when in town, and at her request we often read and prayed together, and she appeared much affected.  She never afterwards was seen out at play with other children; but spent her leisure time in reading God's word and prayer.  In about four months after this she was taken ill, and kept her room about three weeks; when first taken, she told me she should never come downstairs alive.  I frequently visited her during her illness, and made light of what she said about her dying so soon; but in the last week of her illness she said to me, in a very solemn manner, "Sir I shall die before "Saturday-night."  The physicians attended her, but she took very few (if any) medicines, and appeared quite calm and resigned to god's will.  On Friday morning, which was the day she died, I visited her, and told her that I hoped she would not die so soon as she said; but she told me that she should certainly die before six o'clock that evening.  About five o'clock I visited her again.  She was then sitting in a chair, and reading in her Bible, to all appearance pretty well recovered.

  After setting with her about a quarter of an hour, she got up, and desired me to go down, and send her mother up with a clean shift for her, which I did; and after a little time, when I went up again, I found her lying on the bed, with her eyes fixed up to Heaven; when, turning herself and seeing me, she said, "Mr. Marrant, don't you see that "pretty town, and those fine people, how they "shine like gold? O how I long to be with my "Lord and his redeemed Children in Glory!" and then turning to her parents and two sisters (who were all present, having by her desire been called to her) she shook hands with them, and bade them farewell; desiring them not to lament for her when she was dead for she was going to that fine place where God would wipe away all tears from her eyes, and she should sing Hallelujahs to God and the lamb for ever and ever, and where she hoped afterwards to meet them; and then turning again to me, she said, "Farewell, and God bless you," and then fell asleep in the arms of Jesus.  This afterwards proved the conversion of her mother. 

  In those troublesome times, I was pressed on board the Scorpion sloop of war, as their musician, as they were told all I could play on music.  I continued in his majesty's service six years and eleven months; and with shame confess that a lamentable stupor crept over all my spiritual vivacity, life and vigor; I got cold and dead.  My gracious God, my dear Father in his dear Son, roused me every now and then by dangers and deliverance's.  I was at the siege of CharlesTown, and passed through many dangers.  When the town was taken, my old royal benefactor and convert, the king of the Cherokee Indians, riding into the town with general Clinton, saw me, and knew me:  He alighted off his horse, and came to me; said he was glad to see me; that his daughter was very happy, and sometimes longed to get out of the body.

  Some time after this I was cruising about in the American seas, and cannot help mentioning a regular deliverance I had from the most imminent danger, and the use the Lord made of it to me.  We were overtaken by a violent storm; I was washed overboard, and thrown on again; dashed into the sea a second time, and tossed upon deck again.  I now fastened a rope round my middle, as a security against being thrown into the sea again; but, alas!  forgot to fasten it to any part of the ship; being carried away the third time by the fury of the waves, when in the sea, I found the rope both useless and an encumbrance.  I was in the sea the third time about eight minutes, and the sharks came round me in great numbers, one of an enormous size, that could easily have taken me into his mouth at once, passed and rubbed against my side. I their cried more earnestly to the Lord than I had done for sometime; and he who heard Jonah's prayer, did not shut out mine, for I was thrown aboard again; these were the means the Lord used to revive me, and I began now to set out afresh.

  I was in the engagement with the Dutch off the Dogger Bank, on board the Princess Amelia, of 84 guns.  We had a great number killed and wounded; the deck was running with blood; six men were killed, and three wounded, stationed at the same gun with me; my head and face were covered with the blood and brains of the slain:  I was wounded, but did not fall, till a quarter of an hour before the engagement ended, and was happy during the whole of it. After being in the hospital three months and 16 days, I was sent to the West-Indies on board a ship of war, and, after cruising in those seas, we returned home as a convoy.  Being taken ill of my old wounds, I was put into the hospital at Plymouth, and had not been there long, when the physician gave it as his opinion, that I should not be capable of serving the king again; I should not be capable of serving the king gain; I was therefore discharged, and came to London, where I lived with a respectable and pious merchant three years, who was unwilling to part with me.  During this time I saw my call to the ministry fuller and clearer; had a feeling concern for the salvation of my countrymen:  I carried them constantly in the arms of prayer and faith to the throne of grace, and had continual sorrow in my heart for my brethren, for my kinsmen, according to the flesh.  I wrote a letter to my brother, who returned me an answer, in which he prayed some ministers would come and preach to the, and desired me to shew it to the minister whom I attended.  I used to exercise my gifts on a Monday evening in prayer and exhortation, and was approved of, and ordained at Bath.  Her Ladyship having seen the letter from my brother in Nova Scotia, thought Providence called me there:  To which place I am now bound, and expect to sail in few days.

  I have now only to entreat the earnest prayers of all my kind Christian friends, that I man be carried safe there; kept humble, made faithful, and successful; that strangers may hear of and run to Christ; that Indian tribes may stretch out their hands to God; that the black nations may be made white in the blood of the Lamb; that vast multitudes of hard tongue, and of a strange speech, may learn the language of Canaan, and sing the song of Moses, and of the Lamb; and, anticipating the glorious prospect, may we all with servant hearts, and willing tongues, sing hallelujah; the kingdoms of the world are become the kingdoms of our God, and of his Christ.  Amen and Amen

Prescot Street, No. 60,
July 18, 1785


London, August 16, 1785

Mr. John Marrant lived with us about 3 hears, which he did with honesty and sobriety-he feared God, and had a desire to save his sold before he ever came to live with us; he shewed himself to be such while he lived with us, but attending the means of Grace diligently, and by being tender hearted to the poor, by giving them money and victuals if he had left himself none.  He left us with no misunderstanding whatever, about April lase.

  This is nothing but the truth


Cotton-Merchant  John Marsden,
No. 38, Dowgate-Hill H. Marsden: