Canada's Digital Collections   Acadian Historic Atlas
Contact Us
Site map
History - Pisiquit   

Located at the eastern extremity of the Bay of Fundy is Minas Basin, a region which, before the deportation of 1755, was comprised of several significant Acadian settlements such as Grand-Pré, Pisiguit, Cobequid, etc. During 1680 and 1682, young settlers decided to leave Port Royal, and thus Grand-Pré was founded. This new village, characterized by perfect soil for agriculture, as well as tranquility due to its distance from Port Royal (which was often threatened by the English) succeeded in attracting many young adults from Port-Royal ready to start their own families. Following a rapid growth of Grand-Pré’s population, some settlers ventured further down the Pisiguit River and founded a new village that was also named Pisiguit (presently known as Windsor). According to a 1732 census, this new village was located at 6 lieues from Port Royal. However, since 1 lieue equals approximately 4 km, the distance should be closer to 30 lieues.

For at least half a century, Acadian life at Pisiguit flourished. Thanks to various censuses, we are now able to follow the evolution of this population dating back several hundred years. Firstly, a 1671 census indicates that no Acadians were present at Minas Basin. Then, in 1701, 188 people, forming 33 families were counted at Pisiguit, and the total almost doubled in 1714 climbing to 351 people (56 families). Only 23 years later, in 1737, Pisiguit’s population reached 1,623. This count was divided as follows: 168 men, 161 women, 749 boys, and 545 girls. However, as the years progressed, the population trend reversed (for reasons discussed later) as can be noted in 1750 when the number of inhabitants decreased to 1,400-1,500. The people of Pisiguit were scattered along the riversides, and