Back to Black Loyalist Home Page Black Loyalists: Our Story, Our People Canada's Digital Collections

Home: Documents: Marrant's Journal: 3-13

Our Story
Loyalists Now
go backgo up go to next


Page 3

On the 15th day of May, 1785, I was ordained and put into the ministry of the word of God the Father, through our Lord Jesus Christ. In that day, I was full of the Spirit of God, and felt a willingness to tell the world the love of God in Christ; and preached many sermons in Bath and Bristol, which God was pleased to accompany with his divine power, to the conviction of fouls which afterwards proved their everlasting conversion; and many precious fouls in London experienced great blessings from my labours; which gave me great consolation; at my return, that God was pleased to work, by so weak an instrument, to his glory, and the good of precious fouls: one of whom, I am informed, is gone down to the college, to be a mouth for Christ. Here we see that God does not work as man imagines, who takes the safe things of this world, and things that are not to bring to nought things that are, that so flesh should glory in his presence. I Cor. 1. 26, 27, 28, 29, verses.

Page 4

     On the 18th day of August, 1785, I left London for America, in the connections of the Right Honorable the Countess of Huntingdon, to go into a strange country; but being filled with zeal and the love of God, and her Ladyship's promises of assistance when there.
     We failed from Gravesend on the 19th, to perform our voyage. Having arrived there an hour after the ship failed, I was necessitated to pay two guineas to get on board; by the help of God I did get on board; by the help of God I did get on board. The wind being fair, we kept on till the tide came against us; we then brought to, and waited for the next tide; so about six o'clock she got on the way again, and kept on all night. At twelve o'clock at night, she was hailed by a boat, who enquired what ship that was? and was answered the Peggy, bound for Halifax. They then asked, if Mr. Marrant was on board? and was answered, yes; so she came along side, and I was called up. A man came on board, and presented to me a pocket book, which, when I opened, I found a twenty pound bank note. Here I saw that the Lord opened the heart of a friend to sympathize with my affliction, who is now alive, but his name I forbear to mention.
     We came to the Downs on the 20th, and laid there till the 23rd, then we sailed, and were obliged to put into Portsmouth, where we laid four hours, and then sailed for our voyage. We came to the Needles about four o'clock in the afternoon, with a sweet and pleasant breeze, and the smiles of the gracious God, till we came as far a Cape Clove, in Ireland; the wind came about west and west northwest for three weeks. The passengers, in general, swearing and playing at cards all day, and impatient with a gracious God, I spoke to them about their wicked ways; that God's frowns were upon us by 

Page 5

reason of their wickedness on board the ship, but in proved fruitless.
     In the fourth week, it pleased God to send a violent storm, wherein we shifted a heavy sea, which almost filled the cabin; then did they cry out for the God to have mercy upon them, and called for the minister to pray for them. I went immediately into the cabin, and asked them what was the matter? Their answer was, "Pray for us, that we perish not. I told them, that they must pray for themselves; but as soon as the water was gone out of the cabin, I bid them all get up, and we went down to prayers. God was pleased to hear the prayer of a unworthy creature, so that the arrows of conviction went to the heart of one of the ladies. Indeed, when I came upon deck the sea seemed to be all on fire; running mountains high. Here I saw more of the power of the Almighty God; this night the bowsprit of our ship was sprung; none of the passengers went to sleep any more, but crying for prayer all night this was a sweet work to me, and I believe to two souls on the ship, who saw the power and glory of God.

     The next morning, about eight o'clock, it was as calm as though there never had been any storm; the captain, positively declared, he never saw such a thing in his life: then I had an opportunity of speaking to him concerning the love, and irresistible power of God; and while I was embracing the opportunity of speaking for Christ, and telling him all things were possible to them that believe, the mate went forward, and hallooed to the captain that the bowsprit was sprung. This gave me a greater opportunity to speak to the glory of God, and shewing him, by scripture proof, how good and kind God was, even in his providential ways, that he is not willing that sinners should be lost; he therefore informed them of their danger, and if we reject these 

Page 6

repeated warnings, we must expect his judgments to fall upon us. The men went to work to secure the bowsprit, and everybody about the ship tried to assist what they could.
     About four o'clock they got in secure; after this we went to prayers in the cabin, and all attended that could be spared from off the deck. Here I experienced the kind goodness of gracious, God in answering prayer, so that we had a fair wind for three days: during this time, the captain and I contrived to make a law against swearing, and playing at cards; so it was agreed to, by all the passengers, and even all the sailors; that every person was to pay one penny for every oath, and that immediately. After this we had no swearing on board but, instead of swearing, reading, praying, singing of hymns, and preaching, every opportunity when their watch was below, was heard to be singing of hymns, and coming to me to teach them.
     Here I had work enough to do to watch all night, and part of the day, and everybody was upon the catch; so that there was a great alteration in the ship for the better. It was noticed, by all in the ship, that we never had a storm after this, but always high winds, but fair; although our passage being long, but a very good one. Here we see God fulfilling his own glorious promise, in saying, that were two or three agree to call upon his name, there he will be in the midst of them, and that to bless them; and not only so, but to take care of them in all storms and troubles of this world; God will deliver us, and bring us to his heavenly kingdom. Here I saw the land where we were bound to, and all well, not a soul lost; and this day I hoped to be in harbour, and into harbour we came at four o'clock in the afternoon, being the eleventh 

Page 7

week, and one day; all the people were in cheerful spirits. 
    After the ship anchored, we all went to prayers, to return thanks to God.  Some of the people went on shore, being informed this harbour is called Bevan Harbour, and four and twenty leagues to the eastward of Halifax, where the ship was bound.
    The next morning, being Saturday, after prayers were over, our captain asked me and some of the passengers, whether we would go on shore to walk; and the wind being a head, we thought it best to take the ladies on shore, to give them a walk.  After we got on shore, we went into the woods, and on our knees, returned God thanks for landing us once more on shore.  The captain and I , and two other passengers went into the woods after rabbits, and by following them who were shooting, we missed our way, and were out all night in the woods, till Sunday afternoon, four o'clock, without victuals, except two partridges they killed, that we dressed on Saturday night, keeping a fire all night; and on the Lord's day morning, the sun being risen, we walked on until we came to a high mountain; and after prayers, the captain climbed up into a tree, in order to see whether he could discern the sea having a sight of the ocean, he cried out "We are near the shore;" so we were all encouraged, and soon came to the sea; but we were about twelve miles westward from the ship.  Prayer was made for direction from God which way we should go.  The captain and the other went to the westward, and I and another to the eastward; we were to make signal by a gun, if any of us should spy the ship.
    An hour after we parted, my companion and I got up on a high mountain, and fired a gun, and were answered from the ship, still eastward from us.  We fired a signal gun to our companions, and they followed us to the ship.  It was twelve o'clock 

Page 8

before we came to the boat, which had been rowing about all night with provisions for us; so we waited two hours till the captain and the other came to us.
    It was past four o'clock on the Lord's day afternoon, before we got on board.  After we had got some refreshment we performed divine service.  I continued on board till Tuesday the 24th of November and then four of us hired a fishing, to take us to Halifax, and save them twenty dollars, thinking to be before the ship; the wind being in the west.  The same evening, we came to a place called Littleziddo, when I performed divine service among a congregation of Irish Romans; after divine service I had conversation with they, seemed to express a great desire for me to stay with them, so I preached again in the morning, and left them in the hands of God.

    On the 25th, we arrived at Ship Harbour; I preached to a number of Scotch and Irish together, and afterwards visited several of their small huts, and found the greater part of them very desirous to hear the gospel; and expressing their desire, as many of them had not heard the gospel for many years; so after praying in the morning, we sailed from thence.
    On the 26th, in the evening, we arrived at Shag Harbour.  Here we stayed four days, weather bound; and very few souls to preach to.
    The 1st of December we sailed from thence, and arrived at Three-fathomed Harbour, and attempted to perform divine service, but was prevented, by the violence of the Irish Romans.
    On the 2nd, we sailed for Halifax, and arrived in the evening at nine o'clock; where we found the ship had arrived before us, and there was no small stir concerning us.  Being strangers, we were obliged to lodge in Golden Ball Tavern, where I found it was impossible to join together in prayer,

Page 9

 however two of us did join together, while the others forgot their God.  After supper, I went to bed, leaving the other four behind, making themselves merry: by this I learned, that many will pretend to serve God while in danger, but soon forget his mercies.  In the morning I came out to go to the ship, and met with the captain, who expressed great satisfaction in seeing me; and hearing all was well, he soon took me to the ladies, where we all joined in prayer together.  I then went down to the ship, and found the sailors expressing themselves full of joy; I then returned to the tavern, and found my companions had done breakfast, and the bill was brought in to the amount of six pounds sterling; so I paid the bill, and took myself from thence  On the 4th night, I preached in Halifax to a large congregation.

    The 5th day, we had all our things from n board the ship, and we met in the evening, in order to settle our accounts with the captain and passengers after which we had prayers, and parted in peace.
    The sixth day, being the Lord's day, I preached twice to a crowded congregation, and  God was pleased to manifest his divine power both to black and white, which proved the conversion of several present

    On Monday, the 7th I went over to Dartmouth, to see the place
    Tuesday, the eighth, I preached again in Halifax to a large concourse of people.  Here I was encouraged, because many were crying, "What shall I do to be saved."  The Reverend Mr. Furmage took me from place to place, so I had opportunities of conversing with many precious souls, who were groaning for redemption through the blood of Christ.
    The 11th, I preached a farewell sermon to a large concourse of people.  I preached from the thirteenth 

Page 10

chapter of the second epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, the eleventh and following verses.  The Lord was truly present with us, so that there was groaning, and sighing, heard throughout the congregation.  After I had dismissed the congregation, I conversed with a great number of them, finding their desire that I should stay a little longer with them, I replied, that the pacquet could not stop, but I promised them that I would come through Halifax once a year; so we had prayers, and commended them to God, who was able to build them up; and give them an inheritance among all them that are sanctified.

    The next morning I was accompanied down to the pacquet by Mr. William Furmage, and some of his people.  The wind being fair, we sailed on the 12th morning for Shelburne Port Roseway; but we had a violent storm on the passage, which kept us four days, and arrived in Shelburn Harbour on the 15th.

    On the 16th, I landed on shore, but did not see anybody I knew, neither did I think to stay in the place, seeing it was a new uncultivated place.  The people seemed all to be wild; I was obliged to conclude with Abraham, and said, "Sure the fear of God is not in this place."  About three o'clock in the afternoon, I went into a coffee house to get something to refresh me; there I met with a gentleman, whom I had some knowledge of, and he of me.  I asked him several questions about the people; he informed me of several of them of whom I knew and persuaded me to get my things from on board the pacquet.  Accordingly I did, and lodged at the coffee house that night, without seeing anybody else that I knew, and still retained a strong desire to return with the pacquet, but, about midnight I arose up and went to prayer, and I had it impressed on my mind, that god had some people in this place 

Page 11

and so concluded in my mind to stay one week; but on the 17th, in the morning, after addressing the throne of grace once more, I came down stairs, and ordered my breakfast.  In the mean time, a gentleman came in, whom I had a perfect knowledge of; and that because we went both to school together.  We breakfasted together at one table; but he did not know me, until after breakfast, when I took him into a private room and made myself known to him; he then burst into a flood of tears, and I wept also.  He went with me to many others that I perfectly knew, and was gladly received by them.

    On the 18th, in the morning, I went over Birch Town, with two others in company; but was not known by anybody there; but one man who was not at home, but came in about six o'clock in the evening, and was very glad to see me; so we talked about old times, which made us to shed many tears, and I continued all night with him.
    On the 19th, in the morning, we returned to Shelbourn Town, in order to get my things over to Birch Town, and returned the same evening back again, when I had many to visit me, and was informed by them, that Mr. Marchenton, in Halifax, had wrote a letter to them, informing them that I was not an Arminian, and did not come from Mr. Wesley, and preached, there was no repentance this side the grave; and thus inflamed the minds of the people.  Some cried one thing and some another; but God over-ruled all things for his glory, and I was permitted to preach in the Arminian meeting (because there was no other in the place) to a very large congregation.
    On the 20th, being the Lord's day, I preached from the third chapter of the Acts of the Apostles, twenty-second and twenty-third verses; and here God displayed his divine power, in convincing them of the truth of the gospel.  Ten of them were pricked 

Page 12

to the heart, and cried out, "Men and brethren what shall we do to be saved."  In the afternoon, I preaching again to a larger congregation than the morning, of white and black, and Indians, when groans and signings were heard through the congregation, and many were not able to contain; but cried out to God to have mercy upon them, and would not depart from the place. 
    In the evening, I preached again from the 5th chapter of the gospel by St. John, at the twenty-eighty and twenty-ninth verse, when God's spirit was very powerfully felt both by the preacher and hearer, and for five minutes I was so full I was not able to speak.  Here I saw the display of God's good spirit; several sinners were carried out pricked to the heart.  Here Mr. Marchenton's letter proved fruitless; the people determined to hear for themselves; all this week I was engaged very much in visiting those poor wounded souls; six of whom God was pleased to manifest himself to.
    On the 25th, being Christmas day, I did not administer the sacrament, being no well acquainted with the people.  In the afternoon, I baptized ten of them, and married four couple.  In the evening, I preached from the sixtieth chapter of Isaiah, and the Lord was pleased to rise and shine in the hearts of those that were wounded; so that they could glorify God through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Seven more, also, God was pleased to awaken, under the same discourse.  For three days I preached three times a day, and the people were running form all quarters, very desirous to hear the word of God.  Preaching the gospel became my mean and my drink; and the mighty work of God spread as far as Barrington, Cape Negro, Shelborn, and Jordan River.  I had letters from those places to come over to the, but could not go till after new year's day.

Page 13

    On New Year's day, I preached to a large congregation, from the first epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, first chapter, twenty-ninth, thirtieth, and thirty-first verses; when God was pleased to manifest himself again, and got himself great glory in the conversation of many precious souls; after which I administered the sacrament to them; where I had great rejoicing with them whom God had been pleased to add as seals to the ministry of his unworthy servant; and I may add, many more groaning for redemption in the blood of Christ.  I stayed with them until the 7th of January, and then set off for Green's Harbour

    I passed over Jordan River on the 8th day, in a violent storm of snow.  About three o'clock, we came up to a ferry house, and enquired the way to Green's Harbour, About five o'clock we came to the Indian's wig-wam; and after a little discourse, I went to prayers with them; after prayers, I went on my journey, with three of them to accompany me to the house where I stayed all night.
    The next morning, a small company of people came together; I preached from the twenty-eighth of Matthew, nineteenth verse; after which I had some discourse with them, and finding that none of them had been baptized, and expressing themselves very desirous, I preached again in the evening from the sixteenth of Mark, sixteenth verse; and the Lord was pleased to manifest himself, and send the words to their hearts:  four of them were very much distressed.   I gave notice that I would preach in the morning of the 9th, at five o'clock, but the greater part of the people would not go home, so I got no sleep this night; but conversed with them till five o'clock, and found that the master of the house

go backgo up go to next