Neumark has been creating context specific work in a variey of media
with an emphasis on interdisciplinary investigations. She
received her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Montreal's Concordia University
in 1983. Ever since, Devora has continued to develop active links
between her artistic practice and social activism. In 1999 her alma
mater was host to the Public Art as Social Intervention project
that she initiated and co-organized with Loren Lerner and pk langshaw.
(http://design.concordia.ca/publicart). While continuing artistic
research and practice, Devora also develops and coordinates projects
as a visual and performing arts, health, and saftey consultant,
cultural organizer, and member of the board of Auberge Shalom...pour
femme ( a centre and shelter for women in abusive relationships).
Interventions, Performances, Public Commissions and Exhibitions:
2000 - Iris The Littman Gallery of the State University of
- entre nous CHSLD St-Laurent / Les Cèdres: a
community based project with the Quebec ntegration of Arts into
- Jewish Artists on the Edge Group exhibition
University of Sante Fe, New Mexico
- The labyrinthic task Public commission for floor
mosaics. Jewish Community Centre Montreal
- one stitch at a time: durational performative
intervention in collaboration with Galerie Skol's
operators, infiltrators, companions and FADO's Public Places, Private
- L'art de la conversation as part of the Ville de
Montréal's D'un millénaire à l'autre: Neuf
interventions artistiques dans des espaces extérieurs
à Montréal Outdoors by the Metro/Maison de la
- Dutch Woman at Large durational performative
intervention in collaboration with The Franklin Furnace, New York
1999 - back pain : a postcard series whose first public distribution
was in the context of the Public Art As Social Intervention.
- But Now I Have To Speak: Testimonies of Trauma, Resilience
and Change symposium at Concordia University in Montreal
- Iris at The Sweeney Art Gallery of the University of California,
1998 - Iris collaborative interdisciplinary residency and exhibition
with composer Wende Bartley and
facilitator Naomi Kahane at The Koffler Gallery: Toronto, Ontario.
- The Dorshei Emet Reading Table and Cover
Commissioned work in collaboration with Barbara
Todd and Mathieu Gaudet: Hampstead, Québec.
- The Adath Israel Reading Table Cover,
Commissioned work in collaboration with Barbara Todd: Cote St Luc,
- L'Art inquiet. Motifs d'engagement group exhibition at Galerie
de l'UQAM: Montréal, Québec.
- Événement Bénéfice: Galerie
Optica: Montréal Québec.